My husband John and I tried to conceive for a year before we put that dream on hold to pursue the adoption of our son. When he came home in the fall of 2012 we began trying again; after a few months without success we started infertility treatments. John was 29 and I was 27. The journey has torn our faith apart and put it back together in a stronger and more authentic way. Here's where we've been: 

We started working with our Reproductive Endrinologist in the summer of 2013. John had a S/A which came back on the low end of normal. I had an  HSG which came back normal and blood work which revealed slightly elevated FSH, and low AMH. I was diagnosed with Diminished Ovarian Reserve. I also had an ultrasound which revealed a cyst on my left ovary. 

In the fall 2013 treatment we did three rounds of IUI ( IUI #1, #2, #3).  They all failed. We regrouped with our RE. He told us he suspected I had endometriosis. In December 2013 I had a laparoscopy to remove a known cyst and the suspected endometriosis. He found moderate endometriosis which was successfully removed! 

The next month in January 2014 we consult with RE about how to move forward; he prescribed Femara and progesterone and told us to try on our own. We did for three cycles (#1, #2, #3)  without success and then did a fourth and final IUI. That cycle was also negative. 

After so many failed cycles we were heartbroken and discouraged. Our RE recommend IVF. We took a short break from treatment to consider our next steps and find hope again

Late that spring we decided to move forward with IVF using donor embryos. That summer we met a couple from our fertility clinic who decided to donate four embryos to us! We were ecstatic! We transferred the first two embryos in October of 2014. Two weeks later we were devastated to learn that once again I was not pregnant

Our RE ran a few more tests on me and I was diagnosed with blood clotting disorder called Factor V Leiden. I was prescribed low dose aspirin and a blood thinner called Lovenox for our next embryo transfer, which we did in February of 2015. 

Two weeks after that transfer we finally got the news we had been waiting so long to hear! I was PREGNANT!  John and I had never been so happy in all our lives. We shared the exciting news with our son, our family, and our friends who joined us in rejoicing. In March I went in for my first ultrasound at just over 6 weeks pregnant. John and I went expecting to discover whether I was carrying twins or a singleton, but the news we were about to hear would once again rock our world. The babies had stopped growing very early on and I was going to miscarry. 

Over the next few months we focused on resting, healing, and turning to our faith for comfort

In September of 2015 we underwent our third donor embryo transfer. A few weeks later we heard the good news for the second time: I was pregnant! This time, the babies (yep- twins!) are sticking around and growing strong and healthy. I'm due in May. 

To keep up with our family building journey, you can find me on facebook, instagram, and twitter. I hope to see you there! xo
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...